Friday, June 09, 2006

The Great Rescue!

How cute is that?!

Okay- you may be wondering... "Why did she put up a picture of a bunny?" or "Why is there a bunny in a Dell box?" or "Why is there a bunny sitting on an afghan?" All these will be answered in the following story.

Yesterday when I arrived home from work I discovered a Caitlin King in my driveway. We went into my backyard to sit and talk and we saw a baby bunny in the middle of my backyard. This is not uncommon in Verona- they roam free and they certainly understand the command "Be fruitful and multiply" Cait decided to go over and see the bunny (it is very cute after all!) But as she approached it did not move- which is VERY uncommon, even in our backyard where bunnies have taken over. So, we both got close to see what the deal was and the bunny proceeded to drag himself across the lawn by his front legs- his hind legs were immobile! It was so sad to watch but he/she showed so much strength in its attempts to escape the grasp of two young girls.

We were both rather concerned for the safety of this young one as there is a very NASTY cat next door and we do not have fences in our backyards (hence the abundance of bunnies and deer). I can live with nature taking its course with a runt but NOT with Lucifer over there (in reference to the cat in Cinderella, not the Dark Prince) making this bunny its midnight snack!

I went inside and asked my Dad what we should do and he confirmed my concern- he had found a dead baby bunny in the yard the other day! This one was not going to suffer the same way (stinking cat!). My Dad went inside and got a box (isn't it nice how he caters to our girly ways as we sat and cooed over this wee thing) and I grabbed an afghan (green to recreate its natural habitat, haha) and some lettuce, shredded carrots, and diced apples. There was no need for a full on cage as its hind legs were immobile and therefore s/he could not hop out.

At first s/he seemed terrified, s/he was shaking and staring up at us, but then he calmed down, it seems he is growing accustomed to her/his perfumed guardians. (I really need to figure out if it is a girl or a boy). When I woke up this morning I found him/her alive and well- with its entire feast eaten! I put some more food in the box and headed off to work.

If it dies now I will know it was of natural causes and not from some cat, and if it lives, well, I wanted a pet anyway, and this will be less expensive than buying a dog.

I have decided that if it is a girl I will name it Hope, and if it is a boy, Lucky (only because Hope is a little too feminine for a boy).

No comments: