Monday, June 05, 2006

Feeling old...

It's funny what can make you feel older- its hard to believe that I am able to decide our country's president, go to war, or- the subject of this blog, serve on a jury- me, who plans to make her living teaching toddlers everyday, running around singing songs like "Do the Dragon" and fingerpainting. I am the biggest kid inside and I have to go and act like an adult. I know I can do it- I've seen me do it before, but really, they want me making a decision that can seriously effect someone else's life. When did I become an adult? Apparently somewhere between youth band trips, research papers, and yearbook meetings I missed that transition.

Right now I am just praying that I will have an open mind, an unbiased opinion, and fair judgement, and okay, I am also hoping it will be a cool trial- let's be honest I don't want to trade my $11/hour for $5/day for nothing. (I'm not being selfish I promise- I am thinking about tuition bills) Though somehow I don't anticipate real-life living up to the fabulous closing arguments of Sam Watterson on Law and Order- we shall see.

I also realized that this is certainly going to test my will power to keep things to myself- I am not allowed to talk about the trial to anyone... do you think talking to your pastor counts? Because if I am allowed to talk to Carole about it I will be okay :)

As much as I joke about it I do recognize that this is actually a huge responsibility (hence the making me feel older). I am going to be a part of the Essex County Judicial system. This should be interesting...

3 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

I know all about feeling old! LOL!
You will do great. Your heart for people, your wisdom from life expereience and your excellent way of reading people and situations
(discernment)will all come into play. You are and adult and have been for some time now....the biggest secret is...most of us still feel like little kids inside. I am always excited when people of God are asked to sit on Jury duty. Let me know when it is and I'll be praying for you.

Beth said...

It was yesterday and I was SO close to being on a seven day trial. I was so excited! I was selected to be Juror number one (hich accoding to all of my watching of Law and Order would mean that I got to read the verdict) but at the last minute the prosecutor removed me from the jury. Stupid Peremptory Clause! Oh well... I guess I will just have to wait another three years for my chance. :(

WalksInTheWoods said...

Way to go Beth .......... I hope you don't ever lose all of the child inside.
Its' one of the rules of enchantment...
All adults grow older, and hide behind the masks that the world wants them to wear. But inside are still the dreams and hopes that were first introduced to their hearts with the magic words ...."Once upon a time,...long ago, in a faraway land, there lived a little child, much like you".