Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Food for thought

After reading Caryn's most recent blog I was inspired to write my thoughts on the environment/global warming subject.

I have often wondered why it isn't Christians that we as leaders in the fight for our world. Don't get me wrong- I am not completely naive and I recognize that our planet goes through cycles and phases but even so WE ARE doing damage to it. The effects of global warming are vast and the way we act is not helping the situation. As Christians shouldn't this be a concern of ours? Didn't God leave us in charge of the land and the animals?

I am not saying that we all need to be extremists and change everything about our lives and start wearing only clothing made from hemp but there are plenty of small changes we can make everyday to make a difference. Here are a few ideas I have and I would love it if you guys could share your ideas with me (the 3 or 4 of you that read this).

- Keeping your grocery bags and bringing them back to the store to reuse them or for small or moderate purchases bringing a tote bag to fill instead of using grocery bags. (Ikea has some cute ones and I have one from Whole Foods that not only has the two small handles for carrying but also a nice shoulder strap, and its cute!)

- Buying a Nalgene or other reusable water bottle and using it many times rather than using many plastic bottles.

-Recycling: whether that means putting bottles and cans in the green bin at your curb or giving clothes you no longer need to a friend or The Salvation Army box- every little bit helps.

- Using energy saver light bulbs

- Carpooling

That's all I can think of at this late hour but if I think of more I will be sure to post them!

1 comment:

Matt said...

“do you know they can make jeans out of hemp. Very durable clothing can be made out of hemp.”
"Yeah, and it feels like burlap. Who wants to walk around in something that feels like a potato sack? Maybe you do, I don’t."