Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Self Portrait

For my Fine Arts for Elementary Teachers class I was asked to do a "Self Portrait Collage." I am still not sure how I feel about the collage itself but it really caused me to think a little bit about who I am.

Who we are is truly molded and shaped and changed every single day by everyone we encounter. From our best friend from kindergarten, to that friendship that went awry, to our professors, pastors, parents and bosses, to that guy that cut us off on the way to work this morning each person can affect our day and our lives.

As I looked through old photos to find some to glue onto my sheet of oak tag and sat and traveled back to fond memories and mourned over friendships lost. I hate thinking of how things ended with certain people. It is inevitable that we will grow and change and grow apart from some friends, I only wish that certain relationships could have ended amicably and not with harsh words and crushed spirits.

I want to embrace every bit of life that my encounters brings me whether it means a five second passing by or a lifetime of friendship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, life lessons through Fine Arts in the Elementary classroom... Joan Mallory would be proud.

Mhairi said...

joan Mallory, I think I went to school with her!

Anonymous said...

let's hope it's not the joan mallory that i'm thinking of... either that, or you're looking good for your age :)